Saturday, November 22, 2008

Fragments part 3

I decided that one of the reasons I am having to drag my creativity out of hiding is because my art room is in such disarray that it is hard to focus. Best solution to that is to give the room some extra attention to bring about some sort of order once again.

So this morning right after breakfast, I went into the art studio and began the process. I don't know about you, but for me, if the "clutter" is bad enough it often takes me a bit to get started. I pick up one thing only to lay it down somewhere else. That is so frustrating and counter productive!! I don't know how many times I did that this morning before I finally broke the spell and put something away. I decided that I would set a timer and make myself work in the studio for 1 hour. I knew that would not get the job done but one hour is better than nothing, right?
Well at the end of the hour my mind was really into the task but I knew I needed a short break so I rested for 15 minutes and then went back to the task at hand, setting my timer for another hour. My goodness, how time flies when you are making progress!!!
Part of the time was spent labeling drawers and storage containers. One of my artistic friends had told me what a wonderful investment her label "machine" was. That now she did not have to pull out drawers and lift lids in order to know what was inside. It is a time consuming job but once it is done you realize how well the time was spent. She is so right!
But of course in the middle of my cleaning, sorting and labeling I ran out of labels!!

I stopped cleaning at lunch time and decided that I had earned a sandwich at one of the fast food places on my way to pick up more labels and a couple more storage containers.

I really did not realize just how much progress I had made in the art studio until I got back home and walked back into the room! It was amazing and I could feel my creative juices beginning to come out of hiding. Now here was a room that I would soon be able find solace in.

Not being able to find things or not being able to find more than an 8 inch surface to work on makes it very difficult to be creative. Having a small art studio means I have to be even more creative with the space that I have.
Doing my "homework" in the studio today means I will have one more thing to be grateful for this coming holiday season.
S.

No comments:

Post a Comment